Testing My New Canon PowerShot SX410 IS

Testing My Canon PowerShot SX410 IS Camera

My husband let me order the Canon PowerShot SX410 IS Camera as a belated birthday gift. A friend of mine had reviewed it, and I’d wanted it for over a week. I was able to order it from Amazon Sunday night. I was amazed when it arrived on my front porch today. I could hardly wait for the battery to charge so I could try it out.

I still have my Nikon cameras, but my favorite of them is starting to wear out. The zoom is hard to use. It  sticks and the only way to shut it is to turn off the camera. Since I am dependent on a good camera to illustrate this and all my other blogs, I knew I needed a new one. I also wanted more features. For example, this camera has a 40x optical zoom, whereas my Nikon Coolpix S8200 zoom is only 14x. I do a lot of nature photography, and I want to zoom into the critters and treetops as close as I can.

Today I just wanted to try the camera out to make sure it works. I did some normal shots, and then I tried the zoom. I also took some video of the bees on my herbs. I was happy with the video quality, but haven’t had time to edit it for YouTube yet so I can share it. I only had a few minutes and did not have time to leave my front yard.

Preliminary Test of the Canon PowerShot SX410 IS Zoom

I only took four photos today. The conditions weren’t the best. It was late afternoon before the battery was charged and by the time I got outside to shoot, the sun was in my way. I couldn’t shoot the oak tree across the street. Instead, I took the zoom and aimed at the top of the palm trees across the other street. (I live in a corner house, and this is my little corner of California.) I have put the settings of these shots in the captions. None of these shots have been cropped or edited except to reduce the size to 800 px wide. First we have the palms. I was hoping to zoom in close enough to see if they had the orange fruits I’ve see on other palms. I think I may see one.

Testing My New Canon PowerShot SX410 IS
© B. Radisavljevic – ISO 100, 17.68mm, f/5, 1/640

Next let’s do a comparison. I took the first picture of the silk tree, a common tree in our area, completely on the auto setting and without using a zoom.  I was standing across the street from the tree. As you can see, the tree is in bloom. From this distance you can’t tell much about the shape of the leaves.

Testing My New Canon PowerShot SX410 IS
© B. Radisavljevic, ISO 200, 11.62mm, f/5 1/400

For this next shot, I used the zoom, but did not extend it all the way. This gives me only a small part of the tree, but it focuses on the blossoms and leaves so you can learn more about their shapes.

Testing My New Canon PowerShot SX410 IS
© B. Radisavljevic – ISO 200, 32.1mm, f/5.6, 1/125

This last photo is of my house. I took it from the street so I could get it all. I used only the auto setting, with no zoom. It shows you the unwatered brown lawn remnant I mentioned in yesterday’s post when talking about the California drought and water rationing.

Testing My New Canon PowerShot SX410 IS
© B. Radisavljevic – ISO 160, 8.05mm, f/6.3, 1/1000

I am anxious to test my camera more under different lighting conditions and in places besides my own neighborhood, but this is all I had time to do today. In the process, I’ve shown you a pretty typical neighborhood in the side of Paso Robles east of the Salinas River. Some neighborhoods have larger homes and sit on  acreage, but for those of us in tracts homes, this is typical, and maybe lower end than newer tracts. Our neighborhood has many large trees. It is about thirty years old. I’m sure many of the trees have been here longer than the homes they are next to.

Canon PowerShot SX410 IS Black Camera, 16GB SD SDHC Class 10 High Speed Memory Card, USB SD Card Reader, Table Top Tripod, LCD Screen protector and Table Top TripodCanon PowerShot SX410 IS Black Camera, 16GB SD SDHC Class 10 High Speed Memory Card, USB SD Card Reader, Table Top Tripod, LCD Screen protector and Table Top TripodCanon PowerShot SX410 IS 20.0 MP Digital Camera with 40x Optical Zoom (24-960mm) and 24mm Wide-Angle lens, 3.0 Inch LCD and 720P HD Video - Red (Certified Refurbished)Canon PowerShot SX410 IS 20.0 MP Digital Camera with 40x Optical Zoom (24-960mm) and 24mm Wide-Angle lens, 3.0 Inch LCD and 720P HD Video – Red (Certified Refurbished)Canon Powershot SX410 IS 20 MP Digital Camera with 40x Optical Zoom and 720p HD Video (Black) + 7pc Bundle 8GB Accessory Kit w/ HeroFiber Ultra Gentle Cleaning ClothCanon Powershot SX410 IS 20 MP Digital Camera with 40x Optical Zoom and 720p HD Video (Black) + 7pc Bundle 8GB Accessory Kit w/ HeroFiber Ultra Gentle Cleaning Cloth

In leaving, I’d like to show you one more photo. This is the oak across the street from me. I’m pretty sure it’s older than my house. This was shot with my older Nikon Coolpix S8200. I was not using its zoom. The palm trees are the same ones in the top photo. I was standing in about the same place when I shot this photo as I was when I shot the other. In the top photo, you can see a few leaves from the top of the oak, but they look much closer.

Testing My New Canon PowerShot SX410 IS
© B. Radisavljevic – ISO 100, 4.5mm, f/3.3, 1/12500

10 thoughts on “Testing My New Canon PowerShot SX410 IS

• July 6, 2016 at 6:50 pm

Barbara, I was interested in your post because I’m going to buy a new camera before our trip to Alaska next month. I’m looking forward to comparing it and checking the pricing. Thanks for the info and the pictures.

• July 6, 2016 at 7:59 pm

Ken, I’m an Amazon Prime member, and I can’t believe how fast my camera was delivered. It was promised by Thursday and I got it on Tuesday — the first business day after ordering. If you do decide to buy it from Amazon, I hope you will revisit this page. I bought a camera case there to go with it, as well as the San Disk Extreme SDHC UHS-1 card. It comes with a battery and charger.It’s light enough to take hiking, but not small enough to fit in a pocket because the lens sticks out. I’m really anxious to get some more zoom photos.This challenge keeps me pretty well tied to my desk for now. Thanks for commenting.

• July 6, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Glad you love your camera – and getting it in a day is awesome! I love Amazon Prime!

I am a Nikon guy – been shooting with an old Nikon D70 since 2008 when it first came out. I keep thinking it is time to get a new camera! My iPhone takes larger (megapixel) than my Nikon, but nothing compares to a real DSLR!

Enjoy your camera! have fun with it!

Paul.

PS – technical curiosity here… When you post your images, do you manually enter the camera settings or are you using a plugin to pull that info from the EXIF info? Thanks!

• July 6, 2016 at 10:14 pm

Paul, I entered the settings manually into the captions from my photo information. Since I haven’t used anything but a point and shoot for about twenty years, I’ve pretty much forgotten what the settings even mean. I’ll be reviewing that. My first digital camera was a Canon PowerShot, but I can’t find it now to share the model. I used it for most of my early Zazzle products. I got the Nikon camera referenced in the post around 2012. It’s been a good little camera and my constant companion now since then. I also bought the Nikon Coolpix S9300, which has a 18x zoom, but I never liked it as much as the S8200. I’ve had problems with both of them. I took the S9300 for an important photo shoot at an event right after I bought it.After three shots it refused to close. I was stuck with my Flip and a smaller camera for a day when I needed all of them. I’ve never had a problem with my Canon cameras.

• July 7, 2016 at 12:13 pm

It’s such fun to try out a new camera, as I am also finding out. 🙂 Enjoyed seeing your first efforts with your ‘zoom’ feature.

• July 8, 2016 at 3:49 am

So far I haven’t had time to test it more. But I hope to soon.

• July 7, 2016 at 1:51 pm

I really must put a camera, likely this one, on my wish list. I definitely need “more power!” Looking forward to seeing many more pictures from you as you try out your new toy. Have fun!

• July 8, 2016 at 5:47 am

I hope I have more time soon. My husband just gave me another project, and since I got my computer back my printer won’t print so I’ll be spending time time with tech support tomorrow.

• July 9, 2016 at 1:12 pm

Barbara, I hope you love your new camera! I know how important a camera is to your work and from this initial pictures, it look like you got a good one. The pictures are all sharp and clear. I love the photo of the silk tree and the camera certainly captured the harsh results of the drought. Until you showed us the last photo, I didn’t realize how far away your were from the palm trees in the first photo. That zoom is amazing! I can easily see the detail in the texture of the bark of the palm trees. How very exciting to be able to bring something so far away into focus.

• July 9, 2016 at 5:48 pm

I hope I can find time soon for a real test of the camera. This isn’t one I can put in my purse and take everywhere I go. I still have to use my Nikon for that.I’d like to take this camera to a vineyard soon. Thanks for such a detailed comment.